Edinburgh has a huge number of excellent pubs and restaurants, many of which are near our venue. There are also loads of smaller bars and cafes that set up specially for the festival. This list will be added to but please do comment and add your own recommendations.
- Brew Lab – delight your innner barista and fashionista with superior coffee whether you prefer filter or espresso. Also sells good sandwiches and Lovecrumbs cakes.
- Kilimanjaro Coffee – part of a small independent chain with award winning baristers selling Square Mile coffee, the shop is on Nicolson street very near our venue. The shop has a good range of breakfast and snack/lunch items.
- Press Coffee – part of the same small independent chain as Kilamanjaro, this shop is on Buccleuch Place and has a more limited food menu.
- Black Medicine Coffee Company – small independent coffee shop chain in Edinburgh. Nearest branch is on South Bridge.
- Police Box Coffee – there are several of these around town, the nearest is on the corner of the road to the left of the main Informatics entrance.
- Elephants and Bagels – bagel and coffee shop with, you guessed it, a strong Elephant theme. Located on Nicholson Square.
- Elephant House – yes, part of same local chain as Elephants and Bagels. Elephant House claims to be the birthplace of Harry Potter and has an unmissably weird Harry Potter themed bathroom replete with Potter related fan graffitti. This does also make it very popular in the summer. Serves tasty if slightly basic food but the backroom has both a piano (which you can help yourself to playing) and a lovely view of Edinburgh Castle.
- Starbucks – for those who like a big chain your nearest branch is on Clerk Street, with others on Forrest Row, Royal Mile, etc.
- Kalpna – excellent vegatarian and vegan restaurant which operates a tasty but basic all you can eat menu at lunchtime and an excellent a la carte menu in the evenings (try the cashew nut curry!). Located on Clerk Street.
- Hotel du Vin – modern European food with excellent wine menu. Located near the venue just off Teviot Row.
- Mosque Kitchen / Mosque Restaurant – cheap and delicious food, perfect for those with huge appetites! The Mosque Kitchen is open during the daytime until 7pm, the restaurant (with an all you can eat format) is open later still. There is also now a kebab shop, ice cream shop and middle eastern shop all based in the block of buildings opposite our venue.
- Spoon – excellent modern European food (including homemade lemonade, ginger beer and delicious chips), large restaurant, and a former J.K.Rowling writing space (in a previous incarnation).
- Kim’s Mini meals – very small restaurant offering delicious traditional Korean cooking. Located on Buccluch Street.
- Ting Thai Caravan – great Thai food in a very popular hipster setting at inexpensive prices. Located on Teviot Row, just a few minutes walk from the Informatics Forum.
- Vittoria – Italian restaurant with all the standard things one would expect. Also does excellent takeaway icecreams. Located on George VIth Bridge.
- The Mussel Inn – restaurant specialising in Scottish Mussels and seafood (though better in months with an “r” in them). Located on Rose Street.
- No 1 Sushi – freshly made sushi, sashimi and various hot Japanese food with lovely service. Located on Home Street opposite the Cameo cinema.
- PearTree – great nearby pub with an enormous and lively beer garden. Located just around the corner from the Informatics Forum on West Richmond Street
- Teviot / Gilded Balloon – normally the student union but this bar becomes a different space in the festival with comedians, performers and their audience grabbing drinks between shows. Located just round the corner from Informatics in Bristo Square
- Potterrow / Pleasance Dome – also normally a student union this becomes a general hang out for performers and shows with several bars and cafes. Located around the corner from Informatics in Bristo Square
- 56 North – cocktail bar (with food available) just down the road from Informatics on Buccluch Street.
- Pleasance / Pleasance Courtyard – the place to be seen and bump into your comedy heros in August (normally a student bar) this is an increadibly busy series of bars around the Pleasance building located on Pleasance just 10 mins walk from Informatics.
- Los Cardos – burrito takeaway offering burritos and nothing but burritos. Delicious, quick, and very handy if you’re staying nearer Leith. Located at the Leith end of Leith Walk.
- The Finnan 2 Go – good quality fish and chips with a few fun wildcard menu items including Arbroath Smokey fish suppers. Located on Clerk Street.